MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER 502
500 Series Modular MIDAS Microphone Preamplifier with Classic XL4 Filters
- High performance, compact 500 Series premium MIDAS microphone/line preamplifier
- Award-winning MIDAS amp has been enhanced with quad discrete ultra low noise input transistors
- Legendary MIDAS input allows up to +24 dBu signal levels with no pad while featuring the much loved soft clipping characteristic
- Classic MIDAS XL4 swept low and high pass filters with independent selection switches
- Switchable electronic or discrete transistor driven transformer balanced output for sonic flexibility
- Unique twin precision 11 segment LED circular input and output level metering
- High accuracy rotary switch gain control with 60 dB range in 5 dB steps
- Output gain trim with ±20 dB range controls input and output stage colouration
- Total gain range is an amazing -20 dB to +80 dB easily accommodating low output mics
- Large gain trim knobs provide precise control of input and output gains
- Illuminated switches for filters, +48V, polarity reverse and electronic/transformer output select
- Power up mute relays prevent switch on thumps
- Premium quality components throughout for a crystal-clear audiophile signal path
- 3-Year Warranty Program*
- Designed and engineered in the U.K.
500 SERIES MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER 502
In response to the many customer requests received over the years, the award-winning MIDAS Microphone Preamp is now available as an add-on to any mobile or recording system. When used in conjunction with the LEGEND L10 or L6 500 Series Rackmount Chassis, the MICROPHONE PREAMPLIFIER 502 provides the ideal solution for users seeking the legendary MIDAS sound in a modular format that boasts upgraded, premium-quality performance. Additionally, the 502 module utilises the same swept low and high pass filters found in the iconic XL4 Live Performance Mixing Console.
Award-Winning Mic Preamp
The MIDAS Microphone Preamplifier is considered by leading live sound and recording engineers as the very essence of the famous MIDAS sound. Decades of design experience paired with premium-grade components is the foundation of that acclaimed warmth and depth, which brings out subtle ambience, maintains spatial positioning, and more effectively captures a precise sound image. That warm and organic MIDAS sound has been heard by millions of concert goers – and recorded for posterity on countless live albums. The award-winning mic preamplifier in the 502 module has even been upgraded via the implementation of four discrete ultra low noise input transistors for even more transparent and ultra low noise performance.
Over the years, many mix engineers have found this robust and overload-tolerant preamp design takes on a whole new dimension when driven hard. The 502 module’s input stage allows up to +24 dBu signal levels with no pad requirement, while featuring the much loved soft clipping characteristic that provides crystal-clear audiophile reproduction with just the right amount of harmonics.
Classic MIDAS XL4 Filters
Our XL4 mixers are legendary for their uncompromising sonic characteristics, impressive versatility, and ease of use. The 502 mic preamp honours that legacy by bringing back the low and high pass filters that helped make the XL4 so popular. The low pass filter control adjusts the filter frequency from 1 kHz to 40 kHz, while the high pass filter control adjusts from 10 Hz to 400 Hz (both -3 dB points).
Selectable Balanced Outputs
The default output of the 502 module is the same electronically balanced output you will find on most MIDAS mixing consoles. This configuration provides an extremely clean signal even when operating at very high signal levels. But you also have the option of selecting a discrete transistor-driven transformer balanced output stage by engaging the TX switch. 502’s transformer provides galvanic isolation and generates a more vintage sound, and becomes saturated at lower frequencies to add colour when driven hard. The output levels of the electronic and transformer outputs are matched to allow true A-B comparisons on the fly.
*Warranty details can be found at music-group.com.